RTE’S Myles Dungan took his Fighting Irish show to Cavan this August – and got a warm welcome home.
The historian, broadcaster and author, born in Kingscourt, delighted a packed Cavan Town Hall with his show, which also stars tenor Matthew Gilsenan of the Celtic Tenors.
The show was an integral part of a two-day American Civil War commemoration, hosted by Cavan County Council Library Service, in collaboration with Pegasus Consulting.
150 years after the Civil War, this was a major commemoration of the Irish who fought in the conflict.
The American Civil War was fought between April 1861 and May 1865 and upwards of 200,000 Irishmen took part in the conflict. It is Ireland’s great forgotten war.
A large number of American Civil War experts joined the community in Johnston Central Library for the two day commemoration including:
- Dr Myles Dungan
- Dr Patrick Fitzgerald
- Ian Kenneally, NUI Galway – Causes and Issues of the Civil War.
- Damian Shiels, archaeologist and author – The Irish in the American Civil War
- Dr David Murphy, NUI Maynooth, will discuss famous battles such as Gettysburg and Fredericksburg.
- Aidan O Hara, historian and author – Cavan born Civil War photographer Matthew Brady
- Dr Brendan Scott – Cavan Names in the Civil War.
More details HERE